We Need to Invest in Jobs and the Economy for Georgia’s Future
For Georgia to create jobs and compete in the global economy, we must take a balanced approach to our state budget that ensures sufficient revenues rather than a cuts-heavy approach that threatens economic recovery.
Georgia must invest in the building blocks of a strong economy, including education, transportation, public safety, healthy families, a trained workforce, a clean environment, and our state’s natural and cultural resources. This will strengthen our foundation for future job creation and growth.
2020 Georgia stands for broad tax reform that would:
• Scrutinize tax breaks that Georgia gives out to see what works and what doesn’t and eliminate those that don’t help create jobs and build prosperity.
• Modernize the sales tax to reflect today’s service-based economy.
• Increase the tobacco tax by at least one dollar per pack. This would generate revenue to invest in Georgia’s future and reduce smoking among kids.
• Maintain diversified revenue sources to promote stability.
• Strengthen aspects of the tax code that are good for Georgia families and communities, such as the grocery exemption.
These steps will provide the resources needed to strengthen our foundation for economic growth and keep Georgia a great place to live, work and do business.